observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Monday, December 20, 2010

Icicle Tutorial

I never get to do a tutorial!! 

Seems like everything I do everyone already knows how to.  When I received quite a few questions on how to make these I thought I would post it here for you all. 

This is how I make my icicles.  There is still time for you to make some too!!

Supplies 
~Cotton Batting ~ must be cotton not polyester...just doesn't work well.
~Thicker Gauge Wire
~Glue
~Instant coffee or walnut stain
~water
~mica or anything for sparkle

Instructions
  • Cut the batting into strips about 1 1/2" wide as long as you want your icicle to be.  I cut mine about 9" long but if you are putting them on a small tree you probably would cut them 4 -5" long. The length depends on the size of tree you are going to put these on.

  • Next cut the wire about 3" longer than your fabric strips. Make a hook on each with the extra 3 inches.

  • Mix the glue and water together to make a thin runny mixture.  Add a little instant coffee or walnut stain.  Don't make it too dark because they will darken a little as they dry.

  • Place a large sheet of foil on an old cookie sheet.

  • Dip the fabric strips into the grubby mix making sure to coat it well and then squeeze out the excess.

  • Starting about 1/2" below your hook, wrap the fabric around the wire.  I wrap it around once and then go back and tighten it so that it is snug on the wire.   
  •  Lay them on the foil as you go not letting them touch.  

  • When you have as many as you want, (cover and save your leftover glue mixture, you'll need this later) either air dry them or place them in a warm 170 degrees oven until dry.  I turn them once or twice while drying.

  • When dry, bring out your excess glue mixture.  Using a brush, I use a foam brush, lightly dip in glue and run up one side and down the other of the icicle and then sprinkle with mica.  Let dry and you are done.
To make 50 of these it takes about 2 1/2 hours with drying time in the oven.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas week!

Warm winter hugs ~ Jenn xo

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jenn....I love, love, love it!! Thanks for the Tut...will def try these!!
Merry Christmas.
patti

Anonymous said...

Hope you don't mind Jenn but I want to post your tut on my blog....everyone will love it...and just in time for Christmas!!
Thank you again!
patti

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Great tut thanks for sharing.

Beehive Needleworks said...

Deary me...sounds sticky and fun! Thank you for sharing, and for taking the time to write up the tutorial...you are a sweet pea!

Merry, merry!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Dear Sweet Jenn~
Thanks so much for sharing this fun tutorial! I love your special "twist" on it and will try it sometime soon!! Wishing you and yours the Merriest of Christmases and a most Happy and creative New Year!!
Blessings and Hugs~~
Julie

ctlogcabin said...

Jenn ~~ Thank You for sharing, they are so Sweet. No time this week, but will save and make for next year for sure. EnJoy this Christmas Week. Love & Hugs ~~ Connie xox

Angie said...

thanks so much Jenn! Merry Christmas!

Sabrina @Falling Leaf Woodworkers and Primitives said...

These are great... thanks for sharing.
Sabrina

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for sharing the tutorial and will be the only icicles around our home.
Just popped by to wish you and your dear family the best and happiest Christmas. I hope it is filled with the sweetest of blessings.
I am so grateful for your beautiful friendship.

Christmas hugs
Carolyn

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

This is awesome, I love how prim they look! Thank you for sharing your tut.

RNnett said...

I'm excited to try these! Thank you for sharing your tutorial. Happy Fall!

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts