observations, ideas and inspiration... from my pennsylvania home, garden, kitchen, and studio

Friday, November 16, 2012

Cranberry Apple Crisp ~ a sweet comfort food




I have been on a "crisp" making kick lately.  They are so simple to make, even when your busy, there is always time to make a fruit crisp.  .....there is ALWAYS time for something sweet!



Do you have a sweet tooth?  Just today my sister and I were talking about how I have such a sweet tooth and she doesn't, but her daughter does, and mine doesn't....how does that happen?  I need a little something sweet everyday or I would die.  No, not really, but I did just finish making and eating that whole plate full pictured below and I'm already thinking about another dessert I want to bake.


We all have out own crisp recipes and all are good.  Besides sharing with you these recipes, I like to keep them on my blog for my own personal use and o-r-g-a-n-i-z-a-t-i-o-n.  It really helps because I am not.



This is one of my favorites.  Apples, cranberries, and oats are so old-fashioned and homey.  They are saying "hello autumn"!  Plus makes your house smell so good!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cranberry Apple Crisp 

Ingredients

  • 4 large tart apples peeled, cored, and sliced....I used the old reliable, Granny Smith Apples
  • 1~1/2 cups cranberries...you can reduce or increase by 1/2 cup to your liking
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup  flour plus 3 tbsp more
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
    Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl add the apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and 3 tbsp flour. Mix together and place in a buttered baking dish.

    Combine 1 cup flour, brown sugar, and oatmeal in a large bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork.  Stir in the nuts.  Spoon over the fruit mixture.

    Bake for about 40 minutes, until bubbling and top is golden brown.

4 comments:

Beehive Needleworks said...

Oh Jenn...the crisp recipe is delightful, and looks delish! I shall certainly bake one up for Thanksgiving, along with a pumpkin pie of course. Can one ever have too many desserts? Thank you for sharing your "yummerlies" from far!
Warmest hugs...
Judy xo

Doreen Frost said...

I have a terrible sweet tooth..I wish I could say I didn't..but I do!

Thank you for this recipe..it looks wonderful.

hugs, Doreen

Paula said...

Hello sweet Jenn, It is always lovely to find a post from you! I love the Tasha Tudor illustration and your pretty brown transfeware plate! Your dessert looks so yummy! I can't eat any grains or sugar, but my hubby and son will love this, they have the sweet tooth's! :D I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that you enjoy your yummy crisps! Much love and a hug, Paula xoxo

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jenn,

Oh yum! your cranberry apple crisp looks so good and know how good it must have been having a bowl.
Good to have comfort food when the weather gets a little cooler.
Hope you are having a lovely weekend

hugs
Carolyn

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts